==> Website for the textbook Metadata. Zeng, Marcia Lei & Jian Qin.
2nd Edition (2016) ISBN 9781555709655 / ISBN 9781783300525
3rd Edition (2022) ISBN 9780838948750 / ISBN 9781783305889
Updates (recent activities):
Presentation. "Semantic shift in Health KOS – the needs, challenges, and approaches, using WHO’s ICD as the case." Session 105 "Semantic shift and knowledge organization systems (KOS)", Subject Analysis and Access (SAA) Section. 87th IFLA World Library and Information Congress, Dublin, Ireland. July 26-29, 2022.
Panel. "Accessibility, Usability, Inclusivity: Information Standards, Guidelines, and Best Practices." ASIS&T Standards Committee. 85th ASIS&T Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, PA. Oct. 29-Nov. 1, 2022.
[Newly published this year]:
Book: Metadata, 3rd. Zeng, Marcia Lei & Jian Qin. 2022. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman ISBN:978-0-8389-4875-0 (Announcement) |&| London: FACET Publishing ISBN 9781783305889
Journal: Lead Guest Editor. Special issue of Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST),Volume 73, Issue 2, Feb. 2022 (TOC)
Journal article: Subirats-Coll, Imma, Kristin Kolshus, Andrea Turbati, Armando Stellato, Esther Mietzsch, Daniel Martini, Marcia Zeng. 2022. AGROVOC: The Linked Data Concept Hub for Food and Agriculture. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 196 (2022)105965 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2020.105965 |Download PDF
Major activities, past two years:
Conference chair. 2021 DCMI Virtual, Oct. 4-15, 2021
Co-organizer. NKOS Consolidated Workshops, 2020, 2021
- Keynote. "Health KOSs in a Data-driven Age." ISKO 2021 Lisboa: Knowledge Organization in Horizon 2030 - 5th Congress ISKO Spain-Portugal (15th ISKO Spain), Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 25 - 26, 2021.
(Paper available in the Conference Proceedings https://doi.org/10.51427/10451/50067 p.23-38.)
- Workshop. "International Classification of Diseases (ICD)." 6th ISKO-Brazil Conference, December 14-15, 2021.
- Panel. "Updates of Information Standards and Standardization Efforts (ASIS&T Standards Committee)" 2021 ASIS&T Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 2021.
- Supervisor (doctoral student's dissertation). Julaine Clunis. 2021-12. "Semantic Analysis Mapping Framework for Clinical Coding Schemes: A Design Science Research Approach." Available on OhioLINK.
- Related article: "Implications of knowledge Organization Systems for Health Information Exchange and Communication during the COVID-19 Pandemic". Marcia Lei Zeng, Yi Hong, Julaine Clunis, Shaoyi He, & L.P. Coladangelo. Data and Information Management, 2020, 4(3): 148–170. Available on the WHO Global Research on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- Keynote. "Semantic Enrichment of LAM Data to Support Digital Humanities." MTSR 2021. 15th International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research, virtual, Complutense University of Madrid, Nov. 29 - Dec. 3, 2021.
- Keynote. "Semantic Enrichment for Enhancing Historical and Cultural Heritage Data to Support Digital Humanities Research" HELDIG Digital Humanities Summit 2020, Dec 11, 2020. (Presentation video, slides)
- Related article: "Semantic enrichment for enhancing LAM data and supporting digital humanities. Review Article." El profesional de la información, v. 28, n. 1, e280103. Jan. 2019. http://www.elprofesionaldelainformacion.com/contenidos/2019/ene/03.html
- Keynote. "Functional Metrics for LOD KOS Products", Getty Vocabulary ITWG 2020, Getty Center, Los Angeles, California, 6-7 Feb. 2020.
- Invited talk. "FAIR + FIT : Functional Metrics for Linked Open Data (LOD) KOS Products." ISKO-UK Research Observatory (KO-RO) online event FAIR Principles and Semantic Interoperability, Oct. 27, 2021.
- Invited talk. "Enhancing the FAIRness of the (meta)data in the Korean National Debt Redemption Movement Archive (NDRMA)." ANDRM Conference 2021: Paying our Debts to Memory: Preserving the Archive of the Korean National Debt Redemption Movement, Oct. 21–22, 2021.
- Distinguished Lecture. “Ensuring the FAIRness of Metadata in the Open Data Mainstream — Requirements and opportunities.” Drexel University College of Computing & Informatics (CCI) Department of Information Science, Feb. 15, 2021.
"FAIRness of Metadata in the Open Data Mainstream" New Mexico Technology Council (NMTC) Big Data Peer Group, May 18, 2021.
- Related article: "FAIR + FIT : Guiding Principles and Functional Metrics for Linked Open Data (LOD) KOS Products." Marcia Lei Zeng & Julaine Clunis. Journal of Data and Information Science (JDIS) 5(1), 2020. https://doi.org/10.2478/jdis-2020-0008
[Smart Data for Digital Humanities (DH)]
- Guidelines. Linked Open Data Enabled Bibliographical Data (LODE-BD) 3.0. Imma Subirats (FAO) and Marcia Lei Zeng. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. 2020.
https://doi.org/10.4060/cb2209en ISBN: 978-92-5-133655-7, 95 pages.[Abstract and TOC || PDF || Google Books)
- Panel. "Implementing the Linked Data Competency Index (LDCI) in Teaching and Training." Panel, Linked Data Education and Training: Past, Present, and Future. 2020 ASIS&T Virtual Annual Meeting. Oct. 22-Nov. 1, 2020.
- Presentations. (1) "LOD KOS" & (2) "Combining, Linking and Reusing Conservation KOS vocabularies". Linked Conservation Data (LCD) Terminology Workshop, 6-7 June 2019. Stanford University, CA.
- Book chapter: "Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) in the Semantic Web. A Multi-Dimensional Review" Marcia Lei Zeng, Philipp Mayr. In: Linking Knowledge - Linked Open Data for Knowledge Organization and Visualization. Ed. by Richard P. Smiraglia, Andrea Scharnhorst. 2021, ISBN 978-3-95650-660-4. page 34–63. Pre-print full text
Current services and acknowledgements:
Executive Board member, International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO) 2020-2024
Governing Board member, DCMI Governing Board Sept. 2021 -- present
ISKO liaison member of ISO/TC 37/SC 3, Management of terminology resources. 2021-- present
ISKO Scientific and Technical Advisory Council (STAC) member, 2022-2025
Co-Chair, Digital Humanities Curriculum Committee (iDHCC), iSchools Organization. Feb. 2019 -- 2021
Chair, DCMI Education Committee. 2021 -- present
ASIS&T Distinguished Member, Inaugural Class of 2021
Conference Advisor, DC-2022
==> Curriculum Vitae ==>
Ph.D. 1992. School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
M.A. 1984, B.A. 1982 Wuhan University, China
Major Research Interests
Knowledge organization and representation; metadata architectures and applications; Linked Data; thesaurus, taxonomy, ontology, and other knowledge organization systems (KOS);
quality control; indexing systems and software, application of expert systems; multilingual information processing; digital humanities.
Acronyms and Abbreviations:
- DCMI = Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
- DCMI NKOS-TG = DCMI Application Profile for KOS Resources Task Group
- DDC = Dewey Decimal Classification
- EU-ICP-PSP = EU Information and Communication Technology Policy Support Programme
- EU ADMS-WG = EU ISA Programme Asset Description Metadata Schema Working group
- FAO = Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Getty = The Getty Foundation, The J. Paul Getty Trust
- iDHCC = iSchools Digital Humanities Curriculum Committee, iSchools Organization
- IFLA = International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- IFLA-DL WG = IFLA Working Group on Digital Libraries
- IFLA-FRSAR-WG = IFLA Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records Working Group
- IMLS = Institute of Museum and Library Services
- ISO = International Organization for Standardization
- KSU = Kent State University
- NSF = National Science Foundation
- OBR = Ohio Board of Regents
- OCLC = OCLC Online Computer Library Center
- UW = University of Washington
- UC Santa Barbara = University of California Santa Barbara
- W3C LLD-XG = World Wide Web Consortium Library Linked Data Incubator Group
Metadata Tutorial and Tools
KOS Tutorial and Tools
Working Groups in action
- Utilizing Event-Centered Description and Linked Data to Increase Access to Diverse Historical Materials: The May 4 Events as Case Study (Funded by KSU College of Communication and Information)
- Smart [Big] Data team, Kent State University (Funded by the KSU URC Research Seed grant).
- Digital Humanities Research with Smart Big Data — A Network Framework of Innovation History
Completed Group Work
- LIS 60636 Knowledge Organization Systems: Taxonomy, Thesaurus, Ontology, 15 weeks
- UxD 61095 Knowledge Organization Structures for UxD, 7 weeks
- LIS 60637 Metadata Architectures and Implementations, 15 weeks (information and outline)
- LIS 60635 Cultural Heritage Informatics, 10 weeks (information)
- LIS 61095 Linked Data, 15 weeks
Professional Affiliations and Working Groups (a selected list)
mzeng at Kent dot edu, (330)672-2782 (iSchool phone)