==> Website for the textbook Metadata. Zeng, Marcia Lei & Jian Qin.
2nd Edition (2016) ISBN 9781555709655 / ISBN 9781783300525
3rd Edition (2022, forthcoming) ISBN 978-0-8389-4875-0
[The book's e-version is available via libraries, since July 2020, for instructors and students' use in the virtual learning
Updates (recent activities):
Book: Metadata, 3rd. Zeng, Marcia Lei & Jian Qin. [2022 (in print)] Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman ISBN:978-0-8389-4875-0.
Journal: Special issue of Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Lead Guest Editor. [2022-02 (in print)]
[Original CFP: Special Issue on “Digital Humanities (DH)”, 2021.]
GUEST EDITORIAL: "JASIST special issue on digital humanities (DH)" Marcia Lei Zeng, Chris Alen Sula, Karen F. Gracy, Eero Hyvönen, Vânia Mara Alves Lima, First published online: 09 October 2021 https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.24584.
Linked Open Data Enabled Bibliographical Data (LODE-BD) 3.0. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. 2020. Imma Subirats (FAO) and Marcia Lei Zeng. http://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/cb2209en ISBN: 978-92-5-133655-7, 95 pages. (PDF) (Published Dec. 2020)
"Implications of knowledge Organization Systems for Health Information Exchange and Communication during the COVID-19 Pandemic". Marcia Lei Zeng, Yi Hong, Julaine Clunis, Shaoyi He, & L.P. Coladangelo. Data and Information Management, 2020, 4(3): 148–170. https://doi.org/10.2478/dim-2020-0009 (Published online Jun 24, 2020). Available on the WHO Global Research on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Book chapter. "Chapter 3. Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) in the Semantic Web. A Multi-Dimensional Review" Marcia Lei Zeng, Philipp Mayr. In: Linking Knowledge - Linked Open Data for Knowledge Organization and Visualization Ed. by Richard P. Smiraglia, Andrea Scharnhorst. 2021, ISBN 978-3-95650-660-4. page 34–63.
Major activities, past two years:
Conference chair. 2021 DCMI Virtual, Oct. 4-15, 2021
Co-organizer. NKOS Consolidated Workshops, 2020, 2021
- Keynote. "Health KOSs in a Data-driven Age." ISKO 2021 Lisboa: Knowledge Organization in Horizon 2030 - 5th Congress ISKO Spain-Portugal (15th ISKO Spain), Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 25 - 26, 2021.
(Paper available in the Proceedings https://doi.org/10.51427/10451/50067 p.23-38.)
- Workshop. "International Classification of Diseases (ICD)." 6th ISKO-Brazil Conference, December 14-15, 2021.
- Panel. "Updates of Information Standards and Standardization Efforts (ASIS&T Standards Committee)" 2021 ASIS&T Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 2021.
- Related article: "Implications of knowledge Organization Systems for Health Information Exchange and Communication during the COVID-19 Pandemic". Data and Information Management, 2020, 4(3): 148–170. Available on the WHO Global Research on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- Keynote. "Semantic Enrichment of LAM Data to Support Digital Humanities." MTSR 2021. 15th International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research, virtual, Complutense University of Madrid, Nov. 29 - Dec. 3, 2021.
- Keynote. "Semantic Enrichment for Enhancing Historical and Cultural Heritage Data to Support Digital Humanities Research" HELDIG Digital Humanities Summit 2020, Dec 11, 2020. (Presentation video, slides)
- Related article: "Semantic enrichment for enhancing LAM data and supporting digital humanities. Review Article." El profesional de la información, v. 28, n. 1, e280103. Jan. 2019. http://www.elprofesionaldelainformacion.com/contenidos/2019/ene/03.html
- Keynote. "Functional Metrics for LOD KOS Products", Getty Vocabulary ITWG 2020, Getty Center, Los Angeles, California, 6-7 Feb. 2020.
- Invited talk. "FAIR + FIT : Functional Metrics for Linked Open Data (LOD) KOS Products." ISKO-UK Research Observatory (KO-RO) online event FAIR Principles and Semantic Interoperability, Oct. 27, 2021.
- Invited talk. "Enhancing the FAIRness of the (meta)data in the Korean National Debt Redemption Movement Archive (NDRMA)." ANDRM Conference 2021: Paying our Debts to Memory: Preserving the Archive of the Korean National Debt Redemption Movement, Oct. 21–22, 2021.
- Distinguished Lecture. “Ensuring the FAIRness of Metadata in the Open Data Mainstream — Requirements and opportunities.” Drexel University College of Computing & Informatics (CCI) Department of Information Science, Feb. 15, 2021.
"FAIRness of Metadata in the Open Data Mainstream" New Mexico Technology Council (NMTC) Big Data Peer Group, May 18, 2021.
- Related article: "FAIR + FIT : Guiding Principles and Functional Metrics for Linked Open Data (LOD) KOS Products." Marcia Lei Zeng & Julaine Clunis. Journal of Data and Information Science (JDIS) 5(1), 2020. https://doi.org/10.2478/jdis-2020-0008
[Smart Data for Digital Humanities (DH)]
- Guidelines. Linked Open Data Enabled Bibliographical Data (LODE-BD) 3.0. Imma Subirats (FAO) and Marcia Lei Zeng. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. 2020. http://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/cb2209en ISBN: 978-92-5-133655-7, 95 pages. (PDF)
- Panel. "Implementing the Linked Data Competency Index (LDCI) in Teaching and Training." Panel, Linked Data Education and Training: Past, Present, and Future. 2020 ASIS&T Virtual Annual Meeting. Oct. 22-Nov. 1, 2020.
- Presentations. (1) "LOD KOS" & (2) "Combining, Linking and Reusing Conservation KOS vocabularies". Linked Conservation Data (LCD) Terminology Workshop, 6-7 June 2019. Standard University, CA.
- Book chapter: "Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) in the Semantic Web. A Multi-Dimensional Review" Marcia Lei Zeng, Philipp Mayr. In: Linking Knowledge - Linked Open Data for Knowledge Organization and Visualization. Ed. by Richard P. Smiraglia, Andrea Scharnhorst. 2021, ISBN 978-3-95650-660-4. page 34–63.
Current services and acknowledgements:
Executive Board member, International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO) 2020-2014
Governing Board member, DCMI Governing Board Sept. 2021 -- present
ISKO liaison member of ISO/TC 37/SC 3, Management of terminology resources. 2021-- present
Co-Chair, Digital Humanities Curriculum Committee (iDHCC), iSchools Organization. Feb. 2019 -- present
Co-Chair, DCMI Teaching Metadata Interest Group. 2019 –- present
Chair, DCMI Education Committee. 2021 -- present
ASIS&T Distinguished Member, ASIS&T Distinguished Member Program - Inaugural Class of 2021
==> Curriculum Vitae ==>
Ph.D. 1992. School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
M.A. 1984, B.A. 1982 Wuhan University, China
Major Research Interests
Knowledge organization and representation; metadata architectures and applications; Linked Data; thesaurus, taxonomy, ontology, and other knowledge organization systems (KOS);
quality control; indexing systems and software, application of expert systems; multilingual information processing; digital humanities.
Acronyms and Abbreviations:
- DCMI NKOS-TG = Dublin Core Metadata Initiative - Application Profile for KOS Resources Task Group
- DDC = Dewey Decimal Classification
- EU-ICP-PSP = EU Information and Communication Technology Policy Support Programme
- EU ADMS-WG = EU ISA Programme Asset Description Metadata Schema Working group
- FAO = Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Getty = The Getty Foundation, The J. Paul Getty Trust
- IFLA = International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- IFLA-DL WG = IFLA Working Group on Digital Libraries
- IFLA-FRSAR-WG = IFLA Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records Working Group
- IMLS = Institute of Museum and Library Services
- ISO = International Organization for Standardization
- KSU = Kent State University
- NSF = National Science Foundation
- OBR = Ohio Board of Regents
- OCLC = OCLC Online Computer Library Center
- UW = University of Washington
- UC Santa Barbara = University of California Santa Barbara
- W3C LLD-XG = World Wide Web Consortium Library Linked Data Incubator Group
Metadata Tutorial and Tools
KOS Tutorial and Tools
Working Groups in action
- Utilizing Event-Centered Description and Linked Data to Increase Access to Diverse Historical Materials: The May 4 Events as Case Study (Funded by KSU College of Communication and Information)
- Smart [Big] Data team, Kent State University (Funded by the KSU URC Research Seed grant).
- Digital Humanities Research with Smart Big Data — A Network Framework of Innovation History
Completed Group Work
- LIS 60636 Knowledge Organization Systems: Taxonomy, Thesaurus, Ontology, 15 weeks
- UxD 61095 Knowledge Organization Structures for UxD, 7 weeks
- LIS 60637 Metadata Architectures and Implementations, 15 weeks (information and outline)
- LIS 60635 Cultural Heritage Informatics, 10 weeks (information)
- LIS 61095 Linked Data, 15 weeks
Professional Affiliations and Working Groups (a selected list)
mzeng at Kent dot edu, (330)672-2782 (iSchool phone)